Applying for a guardian

A guardian is appointed by a local register office or a district court.

If a person himself or herself notices that he or she is, due to a degraded capacity, in need of support and assistance of a guardian, he or she may file a written petition with the local register office. A petition for the appointment of a guardian may also be filed with a district court. A close relative or a social welfare authority, for example, may also notify a local register office of a person who might need a guardian.

The local register office establishes, based on the petition or notification, whether a certain person needs guardianship services. The local register office may also file a petition with the district court.

The local register office provides advice and guidance in the procedure for appointing a guardian.

Published 30.9.2016