How to appeal a judgment

If the sentenced person, prosecutor or injured party is dissatisfied with the judgment of the district court, they may lodge an appeal against it. The district court appends appeal instructions to the decision.

A decision of the district court may be appealed to a court of appeal. The time allowed for appeal is 30 days, but a person wishing to appeal against a decision must declare his or her intent to appeal within seven days from the date of decision to the district court that decided the case.

In the appeal document, the appellant must state on what grounds he or she is dissatisfied with the judgment and how he or she wishes to have it amended.

If none of the parties appeals against the judgment, it becomes final.

As a rule, leave for continued consideration is required for a matter to be taken up for full-scale consideration at a court of appeal.