How do you apply for a restraining order?

If you are in a situation in which you are under a threat and you feel that a restraining order might
help your situation, you will get advice and help from police, social service authorities, the public
prosecutor or voluntary organisations.

You apply for a restraining order either from the police or directly from the District Court in writing
or orally. When applying for the order, you have to tell the authorities

• what kind of threat or harassment you have or are about to be subjected to
• who the person or persons are that you feel are threatening or harassing you
• your idea as to whether the harassment will continue or whether there is a future threat of a crime
• whether there are witnesses or other proof in the matter

It is important that you record all the events as soon as they happen and gather all the possible
evidence as well as the contact information of the witnesses to support your application for a
restraining order.

If you have been subjected to violence, see a doctor as soon as possible to have your injuries

A temporary restraining order, which will enter into force immediately, can be issued by a civil servant with the right to arrest a person, - i.e., a senior policeman or a public prosecutor - or by the District Court.

An inside-the-family restraining order is most often first imposed as a temporary order by the police, which enters into force immediately. This is the case for example when the police removes a threatening person from the home and takes him/her into custody and when the threat of a crime is evident also after releasing the person from custody.