Attorney or support person for a victim of crime

If a person becomes a victim of domestic violence or a sexual offence, the court may appoint an attorney or a support person for the victim for purposes of the pre-trial investigation and the trial. If the victim wishes to make claims in the trial, the court will appoint an attorney. If the victim has no claims, a support person may be appointed.

The attorney or the support person may be appointed regardless of the means of the victim, and their fees and expenses are paid by the State. The appointment as an attorney for the injured party in a criminal case will be given to a Public Legal Aid Attorney, an Advocate or other lawyer licensed to assist clients in trials for legal assistance. Normally, the person nominated by the injured party is appointed as his or her attorney.

In other matters, the victim of crime may be eligible for legal aid.

Published 25.8.2014